I love to have a s’more (or several) on the Fourth of July. There is something about the combo of graham cracker, chocolate and gooey marshmallow that just makes me think, “God Bless America.”
Another highlight of s’mores, compared to many other traditional picnic treats they are not going to throw you off the conscientious eater wagon (as long as you stop after a few and don’t continue on eating the rest of the chocolate bars on the side).
This year we are not going to be sitting around a campfire but I still want to capture that essence in a few nostalgic bites. Thus we are having Indoor S’mores! Okay so forgive me if this is blasphemous but they are a really close second to the campfire version. I experimented with making a batch the other night and was handsomely rewarded. These can be made a few at a time or a larger batch to feed a crowd. As always adjust to suit your taste and have fun!!
- 4 graham crackers broken into 8 squares
- 4 Tb. Nutella (or other nut butter spread for non-chocolate eaters)
- 8 marshmallows
- Place oven rack to the height 1 level below the highest.
- Set oven to broil and allow to heat while preparing the s’mores.
- Break 4 large graham crackers into 8 squares and place on a baking sheet
- Spread the center of each square with 1 Tb of Nutella or other nut butter spread
- Place a single marshmallow in on each graham square.
- Once assembled and oven is heated, place the tray of s’mores in the oven. DO NOT LEAVE THE KITCHEN! (I had to toss the first batch).
- They will only need to cook for around 2 to 3 minutes depending on your oven temperature. Keep a close watch on them through the door and check after 1 and then 2 minutes to gage their done-ness. Once they start to brown they may smoke a tiny bit, remove from the oven immediately. Let them sit to cool just a moment and then serve ‘em up!
***Follow up note. I made two sheet pans of indoor s’mores for dessert on a rainy night during my family reunion. One pan had Nutella and peanut butter and they were all gobbled up with gusto!