This post is sponsored by Sabra Dipping Co. The ideas and opinions are my own. I love sharing products that fit into my family’s busy healthy eating lifestyle. Thank you for supporting brands that make it possible to keep Half Her Size running.
Baked chipotle chicken skewers with tons of flavor and a spicy kick. A quick & easy recipe for a healthy appetizer or fun family dinner.
- A super easy chicken recipe makes a healthy family dinner or fun party food.
- Chipotle hummus sauce gives the chicken skewers tons of flavor, a spicy kick, and keeps the chicken super tender and juicy.
- Under 100 calories per serving and a good source of protein.
Happy National Hummus Day! I am so excited this day has arrived. If you didn’t know there was a national hummus day don’t worry. I have been on pins and needles waiting to share this recipe with you! I have everything you need to celebrate this delicious food holiday with a recipe so quick and easy I predict you will start celebrating hummus day at least once a week – it is at my house.
A few months ago I was having a pre-dinner snack with my youngest. While we were dipping veggies into a several flavors of Sabra hummus I was also staring down a package of drumsticks trying to figure a non-boring way to cook the chicken.
All of the sudden an idea struck me. I flipped on the oven and grabbed a baking dish. A few minutes later I had four different flavors of hummus spread over 8 pieces of chicken (2 pieces per flavor not a mish-mash although that could be something to try…) After a short wait I pulled the most beautiful baked chicken out of the oven. It was difficult to convince my boys to taste test each flavor for their evening meal.
The chicken came out so moist, so juicy, so tender Mike and I could not stop talking about how good each flavor was but we kept coming back to the spicy kick of the chipotle flavor. My brain started humming. There is a fun factor with the subtle heat of chipotle hummus that made me want to turn it into a finger food. After a few more tweaks and tests Mike and I agreed chipotle chicken skewers is going to be one of our staple recipes for quick dinners and casual party food. Especially because they are so darn easy to make! Just a few minutes of hands on work before less than 15 minutes in the oven – chipotle chicken skewers are ready to serve in under 30 minutes.
The kids are not as excited about the moderately spicy chipotle hummus. When I make a batch of chipotle chicken skewers I make a second batch using a mild flavored hummus. It takes just a few extra minutes to make everyone happy and we all love the leftovers. Recently Sabra sent me a container of limited edition Caramelized Onion with Smoked Paprika Hummus. I felt like it was a flavor made just for me! I adore the rich sweet flavor of caramelized onions and smoked paprika is one of my favorite seasonings for giving anything meatless a hint of bbq flavor. The kids were very happy with their non-spicy but still very flavorful skewers. I couldn’t resist dropping one on to my plate either.
Celebrate Hummus Day with Sabra!
Sabra has a very special coupon for you available only on Hummus Day, May 13th (midnight to midnight EST)! Visit sabra.com to get your coupon.
Follow the Hummus Day fun across all social media platforms with #NationalHummusDay to find more great ideas for celebrating Hummus day with Sabra. This is going to be a tasty party!
- 1 lb (8 pieces) chicken breast tenders
- ¼ cup Sabra chipotle hummus
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp oil
- 8 bamboo skewers soaked in water for 30+ minutes
- Heat the oven to 425F. Thread a skewer through the center of each chicken tender. Arrange the skewers on a sheet pan then pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl combine the hummus, lime juice, and oil.
- Sprinkle the chicken with a pinch of salt then brush or spread the chipotle hummus sauce on each piece of chicken.
- Bake the skewers for 12 minutes or until they are cooked through with no pink in the centers.