Thanks to flavorful simple ingredients, southwest bean soup is an easy to prepare healthy weeknight meal the family will devour.
This recipe is marvelously quick and easy to make, toss the ingredients into a slow cooker in the morning and when everyone arrives home tired and hungry at the end of the day, a healthy dinner will be waiting.
Just like a thick chili, southwest bean soup is packed with protein and fiber but with a lighter texture.
Three options for cooking
- Reduce the salt in this recipe by using homemade or no-sodium chicken broth.
- Cut the cost of this already frugal recipe by using dry beans that have been soaked and simmered until tender.
- Use leftover chicken. Substitute 2-3 cups of shredded meat for the chicken thighs as directed below.
I know you’ll love this easy crock pot recipe!
- 1 small yellow onion, diced in ¾ inch pieces
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 lb chicken thigh, boneless, skinless
- 2 (15 oz) cans white beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can fat free refried beans
- 4 oz fire roasted diced green chilies
- 4 cups low or no sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Italian dry herbs
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ cups corn kernels
- In a medium skillet, sauté the onion in oil until the edges begin to brown.
- Add the cooked onion and remaining ingredients -except the corn - to a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat for 8 hours. Add the corn 15-20 minutes before serving, just enough time for it to heat through.
May substitute boneless, skinless, chicken or turkey breast for the chicken thighs - may alter nutrition.
For added texture use a combination of beans such as cannellini and butter beans.
Originally published March 4th 2013, updated February 20th 2017