Pam, My Motivational Speaker

In previous posts I have mentioned our Weight Watchers leader, Pam.  She has played a tremendous role in all the changes that both myself and Mr. Second Helpings have made over the past 3 ½ years.  I feel extremely blessed to be able to hear her straight-forward words of wisdom every Monday evening.  I am particularly fond of her “and how’s that working for you?” attitude.  She means it too.

This week I am very pleased to be able to share some of her own words with my readers.  I hope you find them as inspiring, and easy to put into action, as I do.

I have worked as a motivational speaker for Weight Watchers for many years. About three years ago I came across this percentage chart in my Weight Watcher materials.  It is taught and believed that our thoughts and words are very powerful.  Everything begins with one thought and it is believed that if that thought is positive then the outcome will more likely be positive. And if the thought is negative, the outcome will more likely be negative. For example; if I face a beautiful all you can eat buffet table and I say to myself “there is no way I will be able to control myself” which could be translated to “I can’t” then according to this chart I have a 10% chance of success (or 90% chance of failure).  On the other hand, if I say to myself “I will enjoy eating healthy low fat foods” or translated to “I will” I now have a 90% chance of success.

Another example; let’s pretend I have brought in 10 people you have never met before and I lined them up in front of the room. If I ask you “how good are you at remembering names?’ what is your immediate thought?  If you said “I’m terrible at remembering names” I would translate that to mean “I can’t” or 10% and you would probably remember only one name. But if you thought “I’m pretty good” could be translated to either “I think I can” or 70% which means you would remember 7 names.  Those of you who think “I’ll try” or 50% will only remember 5 or the ten names. Actually, I believe that when people say “I’ll try” they probably won’t do what they say because they have already given themselves an out for not following through.

So, if you want to retrain yourself to think more positive but those pesky negative thoughts just automatically pop into your head I suggest you stomp on those ANTS (Automatic Negative Thoughts)! Every time a negative or limiting thought pops into my head I often stomp my foot and change the thought to one that will serve me better. My personal example, many times a day the thought that “I am stupid” pops into my head which translates to “I don’t know how” which will immobilize me with a 20% success rate. (Yes, many years of verbal abuse from my family still creep into my head). Even if I can only change my thought to “I think I can” (70%) I have improved my chances of success by 50%!

100% I did
90% I will
80% I can
70% I think I can
60% I might
50% I’ll try
40% What should I do?
30% I wish I could
20% I don’t know how
10% I can’t
0% I won’t

“Whether you think that you can, or that you can’t, you are usually right.” – Henry Ford


  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful article. This really resonated with me because I always tell myself I’m bad at remembering names which of course becomes true. This is also a good reminder that I should look into weight watchers to hit my remaining weight loss goals. Thanks!

Leave a Reply