Slow-cooker apple-pork roast with cabbage is a satisfying, yet healthy, 1-pot comfort food. The leftovers can become a week of quick and easy meals.
Recently Mike, my husband, and I had a little meeting of the minds. We both want to replace most of the starches on our dinner plate with hearty vegetables. We each realized that our bodies feel better when we eat more colorful plant based fiber and less starchy foods like potatoes, pasta, and rice.
It was with this realization in mind I revisited a meal my mom often made for our family dinners. Pork roast with apples. I liked the idea of the pork because I could cook a large roast and use it for several meals during the week. To make it a complete 1-pot meal I added a heap of shredded cabbage and some onions. The vegetables helped balance the sweet of the apples with their more tangy, savory, flavors.
Slow cooked apple-pork roast with cabbage is a satisfying low-carb meal. In the following days the leftovers can become several lunches or more dinners. We enjoyed this apple-pork roast for Sunday dinner then Monday night just the cabbage was served alongside grilled Turkey Smoked Kielbasa. The next day the pork was combined with black beans to become a super fast enchilada lasagna – which created more yummy leftovers for lunches the rest of the week.
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2½ lb boneless pork tenderloin roast - trimmed
- salt & pepper
- 10 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 medium apples, thinly sliced
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup dry sherry (or dry white wine)
- 2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- juice of 1 lemon (approximately 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Season the roast on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat then sear the roast in the hot pan for 3-5 minutes per side until they are all golden. Set the roast aside.
- In a 6-quart slow-cooker, layer in the cabbage, apple, and onion up to ¾ full. Add the remaining ingredients then nest the roast into the cabbage mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours (low for 8 hours) or until meat is fully cooked based on the internal temperature
- Transfer the roast to a plate and allow it to rest for ten-20 minutes before slicing into 12 slices
- Serve the roast pork on a bed of the cooked cabbage.
Originally published January 2012. Text and recipe updated May 2017.