The first time white chocolate popcorn crossed my lips was at a Frozen themed birthday party. The kids sat around their table slurping juice boxes and eating fish crackers while the parents (who didn’t know each other) hovered around a giant bowl of blue and pink sprinkled white chocolate popcorn trying to play it cool like we weren’t all 2 seconds from shoving our faces into the dish.
Reflecting back to that day, it is possible the only one struggling with their impulse control was me… What can I say, I didn’t lose my sweet tooth when I lost weight, I learned to manage it. All this is why 6 months have gone by since that first taste (plus a half dozen more before herding the children home and very sadly leaving the half filled bowl behind).
After teasing my Facebook friends with this picture my cousin Emily declared, “Well that’s the prettiest popcorn ever. I imagine it’s what a unicorn would eat while watching a romantic comedy with their significant other-corn on Valentine’s Day.” I’m awarding her the prize for most fantastic compliment of a recipe ever!
Emily’s imaginative observation perfectly illustrates white chocolate popcorn’s playful appearance as well as its inherent share-ability. Which happen to be 2 of the top 4 reasons I love this sweet treat. Numbers 3 and 4 are; it is ridiculously easy to make (some might even say too easy) and last but not at all least, white chocolate covered popcorn is buttery sweet coated kernels of crunchy popcorn goodness.
Pop some corn. Make it festive. Share the love. Happy Valentines Day!
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels, air popped equaling 10 cups of popcorn (may substitute light microwave popcorn)
- 1 bag (11-12oz) white chocolate chips
- 1 TB unsalted butter
- festive sprinkles & edible decorations
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside and Pop the popcorn into a large bowl or stock pot.
- Put the white chocolate chips and butter into a microwave safe bowl. Melt in the microwave at full power, stirring every 30 seconds, until the chocolate is a smooth liquid (1½ - 2 minutes).
- Pour the chocolate over the popcorn. Use a gentle hand to fold the chocolate over the popcorn until all the pieces are coated. Turn the chocolate covered popcorn onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading into an even layer. While the chocolate is still melted, sprinkle over the decorations so they stick to the chocolate.
- Place the baking pan into the refrigerator, uncovered, until the chocolate has hardened (about 30 minutes).
- Break the popcorn into pieces around 2x2 each - size will vary. Then serve or package for giving. Store finished popcorn in a cool dry place for 1-2 days.
I love popcorn! Here are a few more recipes featuring popcorn:
SWEET: Sugar & Spice Popcorn from Half Her Size
SAVORY: Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn from Five Heart Home
SPICY: Adobo Popcorn from Naturally Ella